Crank Call

Some commentators may have got it wrong in predicting the outcome of this weekend’s election, but few have got it as spectacularly wrong as Pastor Danny Nalliah, of Catch the Fire Ministries. Whereas the commentators of the media and blogosphere may have based their predictions on statistics, anecdotal evidence or just gut feel, the Christian fundamentalist self-professed prophet Danny Nalliah based his prediction on a personal call from God. And so, it seems, did a number of other people associated with his little group.

As Pastor Danny told his followers before the election:

I thank the Lord that I just had a one to one meeting with Peter Costello on Thursday 9th August and John Howard on Friday 10th August. The Lord had given me a clear prophetic Word for both of them and I thank Him I was able to deliver His Word in addition to praying with both of these Federal Government Leaders.

Unfortunately, I’m not at liberty to share the details of these private encounters, but I will boldly declare that Prime Minister John Howard will be re-elected in the November election (if the Body of Christ unites in prayer and action) and pass the leadership onto Peter Costello sometime after.

We don’t know who it was who told Pastor Nalliah that Prime Minister John Howard would be re-elected and Peter Costello would assume the mantle thereafter but he (or she) was wrong. Very wrong.

And then we come to this prophecy from Kenneth Copeland (also published approvingly on the Catch the Fire Ministries website):

Kenneth Copeland’s prophetic declaration on 26th October 2007
Following is an email we received from Col Stringer with some excerpts from Kenneth Copeland’s prophetic declaration on 26th October 2007 about our Australian Prime Minister John Howard (further confirmation of Ps. Danny’s prophetic word given on 11th August 2007 regarding the Federal Election on the 24th November 2007)

“God’s man in Australia stood up and publicly declared Australia a Christian nation! ‘If you want to come here and join us in our Christian faith you are welcome here but don’t think you can come in here and try and force some other religion here on us and don’t think you are going to tell us how to believe God and who we are going to worship.’ He publicly did that, now this is no time for that man to be defeated. Well he’s not going to be. Amen. He is Lord to the glory of God the Father. He is Lord to the glory of God the Father. He is Lord over Australia! It has been announced! Amen.

Ooops. Sorry Kenneth but it seems it was time for the man to be defeated and he’s not exactly Lord over Australia. In fact, he’s unlikely to even be Lord over Bennelong.

And then we have Karen Hetherington, another Catch the Fire pop prophet, who wrote on their website:

And concerning our current P.M. I would mention that in 1990 while praying with a sister in the Lord, that the Spirit of travail moved me with supplications and weeping for new government in the land and I heard myself speaking forth that John Howard was God’s chosen vessel to lead Australia as P.M. This took me by surprise as I had no political aptitude and from time to time as the Lord has caught me to lay hold of the intercessions of His Spirit has He imparted some very interesting dreams visions, words concerning how to pray etc in this vital area of need. So John Howard is very much our God-appointed leader – ‘There was a man sent from God and his name was John’ (Jn 1:6) – and he will give the leadership mantle to Peter Costello. Praise Jesus. And when on 30.7.07 I was driving past Mt. Beerwah in Queensland (aboriginal legend a mother mountain with womb) the Spirit of God suddenly moved me to cry out in the loud aboriginal like tongue followed by the shouting our several times of ‘The Honorable Peter Costello, Prime Minister elect of Australia’…

Ok. I’m sure crying out suddenly in an “aboriginal-like tongue” whilst driving your car in rural Queensland is a sign of serious spirituality in some quarters. However, if this was a prophetic vision, it wasn’t exactly 20/20.

She continues:

Yesterday I was seeing in the Spirit Jesus visiting Peter Costello. Jesus was preparing his priestly role and as Peter Costello stood in black suite (legal) Jesus began to pull away from his garments invisible threads of law and religion. Zech 3 comes to mind where Joshua is reclothed aright. Then Peter Costello is seated and Jesus stands in front of him and puts His hands on Peter Costello’s shoulders and then standing from behind Jesus again puts His hands on Peter Costello’s shoulders but I notice the right hand has fingers and thumb spread out. This signifying 5 members and in the 5th term for coalition, the governmental leadership will be on Peter Costello’s shoulders. Current prayer need on my heart is the new Treasurer to stand with Peter Costello as P.M.

10/10 for detail but 0/10 for accuracy. But then, as Mark Twain warned, prophecy is always very difficult when it comes to the future.

Edit: Link to a News Limited article removed in response to clarification posted in the comments.

#1 Baybers on 11.25.07 at 5:32 pm

It begs the question, if Nalliah wasn’t speaking to God, whom was he speaking to?

#2 Yakoub on 11.25.07 at 5:36 pm

We don’t have this kind of fun and merriment with mad preachers in old Blighty, at least, not in public – I’m sure plenty of happy clappers have received word that Noddy is going to be elected UK PM at some point in their charismatic careers. Even Blair was advised not to mention his Christianity when in power for fear of being called “a nutter”. Surely the epithet “nutter” is deserved for supporting brainless Bush in war?

#3 Ted Sprague on 11.25.07 at 6:38 pm

John Howard?

#4 T cell on 11.25.07 at 8:21 pm

Over on their blog, they don’t seem to have realised what has transpired over the last 24 hours.

Danni is going to have to walk back his prophecies, much like Howard.

Danni also prayed for rain, another big success!

#5 Sam Ward on 11.25.07 at 10:03 pm

Not really a question of who he was speaking *to*, so much as what orifice he was speaking out of.

As an atheist I have to ask, which religion got their prayers answered in this election?

#6 Ted Sprague on 11.25.07 at 10:29 pm

It depends how broadly you define “religion”. Some of these people in the crowd during the ABC coverage seemed to be having a religious experience every time they caught a glance of Julia Gillard.

#7 T cell on 11.26.07 at 8:51 am

Its interesting that you should ask

For example

1. The coconut himself, poetic justice that he should lose his seat to the type of anti-Muslim bigotry that he has perfected.

2. Costello, whose shrill warning about impending sharia law was a crude attempt to stir the racial pot. Where is his courage to stop his self declared Muslim invasion? He deserted the field of battle, because of a deep flaw in his personal character, pomposity exists where courage should be.

3. Jackie Kelly. This was taken from Bolt’s page

“6.32pm: Jackie Kelly, the retiring member for Lindsay, whose husband
helped distribute the flyers, claims: “I knew nothing.” Yeah, sure. She
battles not to cry in her interview with Seven’s Mark Riley, and looks
in torment. She knows this disgraceful stunt killed off the Liberals’
last small hope. And besmirched the party. Jeff Kennett afterwards hints
that Kelly faces an inquisition after the election.

6.48pm: Karen Chijoff, the candidate for Lindsay whose husband also
handed out the fake anti-Muslim flyers, has not turned up to her local
party rally point, a near-deserted pub. The Chaser has chased her all day.

6.50pm: So distraught is Jackie Kelly on Nine that Labor’s Tanya
Plibersek leans over to comfort her, saying that if it made her feel any
better, Labor had been doing very well in Lindsay before the scandal broke.

4. De-anne “Muslims are breeding and will overrun us” Kelly, lost her seat with a 13.5% swing. Now she has only her own uterus to defend Christendom

These are clear examples that hunting season on Muslims is over

#8 T cell on 11.26.07 at 9:20 am

Sam,

I forgot to mention the cadaver, Philip Ruddock, who may have died several months ago, but whose corpse stood for re-election.

#9 Dervish » Blog Archive » Don’t put any money on Pastor Danny’s tips on 11.26.07 at 9:43 am

[...] Seems Jesus isn’t quite so omniscient after all.  He wrongly predicted the outcome of the Australian election.  Hmmm… there goes his Divine record.  Oh wait.. maybe it was the folks on the other end of the phone line to heaven. [...]

#10 Eudaemonion on 11.26.07 at 9:59 am

Why mince words.

He was most obviously inspired with these Prophetic words by the trickster Satan himself. Unfortunate that a self-proclaimed devotee of Jesus Christ could not determine the authenticity of the ‘Divine message’ he was supposedly receiving.

#11 Antish on 11.26.07 at 10:02 am

“Those liberals who have used power as an opportunity to attack Muslims, have been disproportionately affected in this poll.”

Gawd – you have it the wrong way round. Muslims were attacked (some Muslims) to allow them to retain power (or not). You serously think that someone would go to the trouble of a political career merely to fire a few ineffectual shots at a religious group they disliked?

Every government I can think of has had a strawmann group it atacks (Catholics, Unions, Communists, Socialists, Plebs, etc by the Right, Bosses, Proddies, Poms, Aristocrats, Americans etc by the left).

#12 Chui Tey on 11.26.07 at 10:11 am

I overheard this on my CB radio…

God to Nalliah, (crackle whitenoise) over, God to Na (inaudible) zing (inaudible) Costello is NOT (inaudible) (inaudible) min… (crackle pop).

I gave up. There was simply too much interference.

#13 Pete H on 11.26.07 at 3:07 pm

Danny Nalliah may well hear the word of God, but every time Nalliah opens his mouth I can only hear a cuckoo-clock.

#14 LDU on 11.26.07 at 3:37 pm

LOL at Chui.

#15 Kevin 07 and the efficacy of prayer « Larvatus Prodeo in exile on 11.26.07 at 8:47 pm

[...] Austrolabe throws up more failed predictions that show there isn’t much difference between divine divination and just plain old crazy. [...]

#16 ned on 11.26.07 at 9:59 pm

thank god that rudd won . we couldn’t put up with howard any longer. and that preacher saying howard would win is a real nut case.

#17 Roger on 11.26.07 at 10:04 pm

I will boldly declare that Pastor Danny is a deluded tosser.

#18 Sara Tancredi on 11.26.07 at 10:51 pm

The question now, of course, is whether Pastor Danny will be communicating with higher powers about the new government.

#19 ASDA on 11.26.07 at 10:57 pm

The latest post on his blog has the title \”Christians Crucial in Australia’s Elections\”. Ha Ha Ha.

#20 James T on 11.27.07 at 1:05 pm

The Muslims, according to this flyer I received!

#21 Eudaemonion on 11.27.07 at 1:44 pm

Is this another crank flyer by Kelly and co. James?

#22 investigativeblog.net » Blog Archive » Predictions and wishes and reasons for joy on 11.27.07 at 2:57 pm

[...] but I think this election has shown that the much-vaunted religious right vote in Australia is a complete joke and the Catholic vote isn’t a sure thing for the Libs either. On the other hand, Abbott would [...]

#23 Predictions and wishes and reasons for joy « Larvatus Prodeo in exile on 11.27.07 at 3:59 pm

#24 aaa on 11.27.07 at 4:41 pm

Pastor Danny seems to have changed his tune. And who can blame him when the rest of the Howard spruikers have too.

#25 T cell on 11.27.07 at 6:52 pm

Ha!

he has got the Howard twist and swerve down pat, perhaps rather than giving the rodent instructions from heaven, Danni received a tutorial in duck and weave promise keeping.

their website is a treasure trove of unintended humour.

#26 Pete H on 11.27.07 at 7:51 pm

I have posted a suggestion on the CTF website (at the link above) to Danny Nalliah that; during his next 1:1 with God; he ask why he was given a such bad advice about the outcome of the (then) impending Federal election. I don’t imagine that the comment will survive moderation, but at least I got to call him a sanctimonious dimwit…

#27 Skippy on 11.27.07 at 8:38 pm

There are only 3 possibilities

1. Nalliah is actually hearing voices

2. Nalliah is making it up

3. some wag sits in the roof-space of Nalliah’s house and speaks to him when he is on the bog or through a crack in the ceiling.

personally i think its number 3, and there is a roster for it, you can sign up for the midnight to 8 am shift.

#28 PRODOS on 11.27.07 at 11:10 pm

Good evening.

In your article you use the phrase:

===========
Pastor Danny “Muslims are drug-dealing demons” Nalliah, of Catch the Fire Ministries.
========

Your source is an article by Patricia Karvelas which, among other things, says:

======
The Catch The Fire ministries sparked a row with the Islamic Council of Victoria in 2002 when it claimed in a newsletter that Muslims were demons … and that Muslims derived money from drug dealing.

=====

I suggest you check the findings of SUPREME COURT OF VICTORIA, COURT OF APPEAL @

… which states in part:

========
Sixth finding
44 Pastor Scot did not say at T13-14 that Muslims are demons. What he said was that: [etc.]
======

Regarding the “drug dealing” part, this was said by Daniel Scott – NOT Danny Nalliah.

And what was actually said is clarified by the Supreme Court, Court of Appeals as follows:

=========
Eighteenth finding
60 At T71 Pastor Scot did imply that money is derived from the sale of illicit drugs which is used to sponsor Muslim proseletysm.

As he put it:

“And concerning money, I mean we think of money but Muslim pour money in evangelism and building mosque and so on. So they have a lot of money, which mostly comes from oil, and all of you know that as it was mentioned during Sptember 11th that 70% of the drugs, which go to England, they are from … Afghanistan and other Islamic countries. So they make a lot of money from there also so that they can spread Islam and fulfill their desire.”
=====

I look forward to your response.

Best Wishes.

#29 Ted Sprague on 11.27.07 at 11:32 pm

True. His organisation just said drug money funds Islamic evangelism. So maybe he should be Danny “Muslims deal drugs” Nalliah?

But then the news article also says his organisation calls for mosques to be destroyed so we can call him Danny “Muslims deal drugs, lets destroy the mosques!” Nalliah?

#30 Ted Sprague on 11.27.07 at 11:57 pm

What about Danny “Neighbourhood Mosques are Satan’s strongholds” Nalliah?

Spot Satan’s strongholds in the areas you are living (brothels, gambling places, bottle shops, mosques, temples – Freemasons/ Buddhist/Hindu etc., witchcraft) … If you are ready to pray against it, do so. If not, bring it to your church and ask your intercessors, through the pastor, to pull these strongholds down. (Family First Party election leaflet written in 2004 by Nalliah, as quoted in Misha Schubert ‘PM’s message to controversial sect’, Age, 19 Jan. 2007)

#31 PRODOS on 11.27.07 at 11:58 pm

Replying to Ted Sprague:

1. As I just pointed out, the statement about drugs was NOT made by Danny Nalliah. It was made by Daniel Scott.

2. Other than the news.com.au link quoted by Astrolabe.com, where is the evidence that Danny Nalliah has called for the destruction of mosques?

I’m not aware that any such incitement has ever been made by Danny Nalliah.

I have my own criticisms of various Christian groups, as well as of various Muslim groups.

But I think it’s wrong and unjust to accuse people of things they’re not guilty of. Doing so is bigotry.

Yes, criticise Danny Nalliah. But be Just, and stick to the facts.

Best Wishes.

#32 PRODOS on 11.28.07 at 12:04 am

Replying to Ted Sprague:

Just saw your follow-up post (Danny “Neighbourhood Mosques are Satan’s strongholds” Nalliah).

I note that its source is The Age’s Misha Schubert, whom I’ve found to be a highly UNreliable reporter on a number of issues.

In any case, I’ll check on this particular item.

Thanks.

#33 The PRODOS blog » Blog Archive » Prophetic insights miss the Mark, Luke, and Matthew on 11.28.07 at 12:30 am

[...] can be time-consuming and tedious work separating the good from the bad from the ridiculous when understanding or judging an [...]

#34 Austrolabe on 11.28.07 at 12:33 am

Thanks, Prodos. In light of your comments, the link to the Karvelas article has been removed (and noted in the main post).

#35 Skippy on 11.28.07 at 6:27 am

prodos,

what do you say about nalliah’s assertion that God speaks to him. Is he lying or is he hallucinating or is Satan speaking to him and Nalliah cannot tell the difference?

#36 PRODOS on 11.28.07 at 8:30 am

Good morning Austrolabe,

… the link to the Karvelas article has been removed …

I shake the hand of an honourable man.

#37 PRODOS on 11.28.07 at 10:19 am

Replying to Skippy

Having met and spoken (and interviewed) Danny Nalliah a number of times – and even attended a couple of the functions Catch The Fire ministries have organised – I believe him to be 100% sincere and honest.

As for God or Satan speaking to or through anyone, I don’t believe in such stuff.

Nor do I claim to understand how or why people experience such things.

The term “hallucinating” suggests insanity, which doesn’t seem to explain it to me.

I once adjudicated a “Skeptics Challenge” for the Australian Skeptics. It was with two “water diviners” – a young fellow and an older fellow who both claimed they could locate underground water according to how these bent wires which they held moved about.

There was a $100,000 cash prize available if they could prove it in a controlled experiment.

They both failed to prove their art.

I interviewed the young fellow after the Challenge.

“The mind is an amazing thing,” he said.

No more Water Divining for him.

However, the older fellow told me that he’d just had a bad day, and that he was sure Water Divining really did work.

Back to the Danny Nalliah issue, I note that Judaism, Christianity, Islam, and some other major religions all rely to some extent on texts which they consider sacred and whose source is considered to be Divine Revelation.

Christianity, however, seems to have a different view on Man’s relationship to God than Judaism and Islam.

Something along the lines of: “God became Man (referring to the Christian Jesus) so that Man could become more like God.”

There is in Christianity, the view that each individual can develop a personal relationship – and even a sort of one-to-One conversation – with God.

That being so, perhaps the Evangelicals (such as Danny) might feel: “Well, why wouldn’t God speak to me or through me? If I am good and pure, why not? If I believe in Him and dedicate myself to Him, why not?”

I can see some merit in this line of thinking, but I can also see a danger. Basically, that of differentiating a true insight from one’s own preconceptions.

Anyway, it’s an interesting area of study and one that is best approached with a degree of respect and sensitivity.

#38 Skippy on 11.28.07 at 11:51 am

the last 3/4 of your post is best described as bullshit, but hey its got your name on it, not mine.

For the rest of us on planet earth, the choices are

1. liar
2. delusional
3. someone whispering to him through the cracks in his dunny ceiling when when is on the bog.
4. Satan was speaking to him.

You can keep us this defence of him, but invariably you will also be tarnished by his views and stupidity.

Since you appear to be his apologist, perhaps you could give me 500 words on why it was OK to speak to the league of rights (on 2 occasions that we know of).

Who told him to go there ? Humphrey B Bear?

The whole tone of your posts are sanctimonious and self righteous, but I note on your web-site, you are not above smearing ICV with someone else’s words.

If its ok to do that to ICV then why should we not staple the league of rights views to Nalliah’s chest? or those of Daniel Scott?

#39 Eudaemonion on 11.28.07 at 12:51 pm

There is a particular word one uses in reference to PRODOS’s conduct; hypocrisy. I wonder, is hypocrisy a virtue where you grew up?

#40 PRODOS on 11.28.07 at 3:18 pm

Replying to Skippy

I invite you to prove – rather than just dogmatically assert – that what I’m saying is “bullshit”.

I state my positions, I share my thoughts – including my doubts – without hiding behind a nickname as you’re doing – and I provide my reasons and my sources.

That means that ANYONE who is interested in doing so can try to rebutt my views by showing that either my facts are wrong or my arguments aren’t logical.

That’s the whole point of discussion and debate.

For the rest of us on planet earth, the choices are

I marvel at the scope and depth of your knowledge of the views of everyone on the planet!

You surpass even the most enthusiastic Evangelicals I’ve met!

1. liar
2. delusional
4. Satan was speaking to him.

There are a several other possibilities which you’ve left out.

Your list doesn’t come seem to be a genuine attempt to try and fathom causes. You’ve already made up your mind.

Question: Do you believe in Satan?

Danny has some views I agree with and some I don’t agree with.

My defence of him has been primarily focused on his great work on standing up for his right to free speech by opposing the Racial & Religious Tolerance Act of Victoria and the now discredited case made against him by the Islamic Council of Victoria.

Secondly, I’ve defended him – and will continue to defend him – against errors and slurs.

Who told him to go there ? Humphrey B Bear?

Listen to this:

I’m only aware of one occasion where Danny Nalliah has addressed the League of Rights.

Please provide a source for your claim that he’s addressed them on two occasions. I’d like to get the facts.

Regardless of the number of times, he has stated that he would be glad to accept their invitation again.

Not because he agrees with their views, but because he sees his role as an Evangelical Christian Pastor as taking his message to anyone, anywhere, anytime.

Furthermore, his approach is based on a 2000 year Christian tradition, supported by reports in the New Testament of the work of Jesus.

See here:

The whole tone of your posts are sanctimonious and self righteous,

Of course I lack both your incredible knowledge and insights, and your carefully reasoned arguments, such as:

“someone whispering to him through the cracks in his dunny ceiling when when is on the bog.”

Very nice!

Provide an example of what you mean exactly.

You seem to be saying that:

1. I am smearing the Islamic Council of Victoria
2. That therefore makes it okay for you to smear Nalliah and Scott.

It’s just as well you don’t use your real name on these posts “Skipper”.

My position is:

1. It’s NOT okay to smear ICV.
2. It’s NOT okay to smear Nalliah and Scott.

It IS okay to criticise all of the above IF you can back up your criticisms with facts and logic.

#41 PRODOS on 11.28.07 at 3:27 pm

Replying to Eudaemonion

Show me where I’m not practicing what I preach.

I wonder, is hypocrisy a virtue where you grew up?

You seem to be attacking my family.

Since Austrolabe seems to be a moderated blog, I draw your comment to the attention of the moderator and ask the moderator to clarify this blog’s policy on that sort of thing.

#42 Eudaemonion on 11.28.07 at 5:47 pm

It seems your understanding of hypocrisy is vastly different from mine. Let me demonstrate:

By the way, the supposedly “moderate” Islamic Council of Victoria’s website recommends IslamOnline.net – which advocates the murder of apostates. Just thought, Jeff Sparrows and Misha Schubert might be interested.

Let me just separate out the elements of this statement, deconstruct it if you will. First; you highlight that IslamOnline is one of the sites linked to by the ICV. This is innocuous in itself, as IslamOnline is a site of thousands and thousands of pages, with a number of contributors, each with their own personal views. Second and the crucial part, de-contextualisation; you provide a page detailing the origin of the ruling on Apostates, de-contextualise it and call caption it as ‘advocating murder‘, something that just didn’t happen where this article is concerned.

Where this little piece of Andrew Bolt-esque sophistry comes together is paring the former, which by itself is harmless, with the latter, which then paints the ICV being in support of said murder of apostates. Viola, you have yourself a guilt by association smear.

But, when it comes to our favourite Pastor and communicator with God (supposedly), we see you up in arms, refutations and aspersions (such as that in the quoted text) galore.

The fascinating thing is that it doesn’t end there with you, PRODOS. You go above and beyond a measly refutation, producing this admirable commitment to truth, justice and honour right here on Austrolabe:

Yes, criticise Danny Nalliah. But be Just, and stick to the facts.

So, where is your proof that the Islamic Council of Victoria ‘advocates the murder of apostates’. Did you not just accuse the ICV unfairly and without proof; bigotry in your words? Is this not the exact opposite of what you, in your own words, advocate, contained in the quote above?

It seems that, PRODOS, not only are you a flagrant and unapologetic hypocrite, but a bigot, indicted by your own words and standards. Or, you have one standard for Pastor Danny, and another for the ICV. Either way, the hypocrisy charge still sticks.

Also, this nonsense about ‘insulting’ your family. Do you consider your family a physical location, PRODOS? Or do you lack an understanding of what the word ‘where’ connotes? I sympathise with those that have trouble with the English language, as it was my second language, and was particularly challenging to learn. However, one would have to be rather obtuse to confuse ‘where’ and ‘who’.

Austrolabe, Baybers, Amir and others, I would ask that you counsel me on whether my previous comments were out of line. If they were, I humbly apologise for bringing this blog into disrepute.

#43 T cell on 11.28.07 at 6:42 pm

Prodos, I have seen some sooks, but you must be the biggest.

Moderators please stop the nasty wasty man from saying things to me, I will continue to smear ICV in my gutless gormless way but don’t dare say anything about me, otherwise I will get so upset I will start lactating.

#44 LDU on 11.28.07 at 6:45 pm

Eudaemonion, how come the URL linked to your name isn’t working?

#45 Eudaemonion on 11.28.07 at 7:02 pm

I don’t have a webpage, LDU. It just comes up as http://deleted.

#46 Catch the Fire Update: Devil in the Detail on 12.01.07 at 4:18 pm

[...] to our earlier post on Pastor Danny’s incorrect prophecies on the Federal Election, we would like to direct our [...]

#47 Austrolabe » Pastor Danny has them rolling in the aisles on 11.03.08 at 12:09 am

[...] might need to lift his game when it comes to political predictions and prophecy (he famously predicted John Howard would win the last election!) and, of course, he’s still not in the same league [...]