Halal Hotels

The Kipp Report have an interesting story on the growing phenomena of the “halal hotel”:

Dubai-based Almulla Hospitality plans an international chain of 150 Sharia-compliant hotels by 2015. Around 90 are planned in the Middle East and North Africa, but the remainder will be Europe, Asia and North America – and Almulla says it will develop non-Muslim brand names.

The plan is to create three sub-brands – Cliftonwood, Adham and Wings – all operating under universal Sharia codes (no booze, halal food). Almulla has signed with the UK’s Jasper Capital Group to structure the new venture. Jasper Capital chief executive Stewart Jack has previously worked in the banking industry in the UAE and managed the development of an Islamic bank project in Europe.

And in other hotel news (also from the Kipp Report):

Like Spinal Tap taking their amps up to 11, UAE hotels can’t be doing with just five stars. The best need seven. How do the two best compare?

Only in the Gulf does the hospitality industry boast not one but two seven-star hotels – a marketing gimmick since no such rating exists, but an effective one nonetheless. In reality classed as a five-star deluxe hotel, the Burj al Arab managed to draw international attention by declaring itself a first and unheard of seven-star title, and it did it well: its sail-shaped structure is now as iconic of Dubai as the Eiffel Tower is of Paris. So when the Emirates Palace opened six years later, new superlatives were in order.

10 comments ↓

#1 Shadower on 05.08.08 at 7:29 pm

The Emirates Palace, is that the one that’s been doing the rounds in an e-mail stating it is the private dwelling of the Emirati Royals?

I like the Halal Hotel chain concept, it is great to see Muslim Businesspeople thinking outside the box in ways to invest and compete on an international stage and to also create jobs within the region. There are 1.5bn Muslims so there is a market out there for such a concept.

#2 DD on 05.08.08 at 9:30 pm

Halal resorts would be a nice idea too..

#3 Umm Yasmin on 05.08.08 at 9:54 pm

Is it naughty of me to ask whether they’ll be requiring marriage certificates for bookings of Mr and Mrs John Doe? (Just kidding, I actually really like the idea and would definitely prefer to book into a hotel where there is no plonk and the food is halal).

#4 Ahmed on 05.08.08 at 10:03 pm

Nowadays you can get into trouble just by answering the telephone so I don’t know if this is a good idea.

#5 Muslim_perth on 05.09.08 at 11:37 am

salams,

this has already been done, i have stayed at a halal hotel in jakarta, they even had a shariah complient certificate.. they have qurans and prayer mats in the room etc , but price was slighlty higher than normal hotel

hotel sufyan it is called

#6 ajsuhail on 05.09.08 at 7:25 pm

I have always been puzzled by Muslims who indulge in business activities that are clearly Unislamic.A case in point is those who invest in Hotels that serve alcohol and pork or even worse,those who buy and operate casinos(the recent MGM DUBAI deal is a sorry example)When more than 95% of the business options available are Halal in nature, it never ceases to amaze me that these Muslims choose the remaining 5% and have no qualms about it.Obviously,they are not concerned with the Akhirah.

This story therefore comes as a pleasant surprise.It is heartening that there are individuals who seek to make money in compliance with the Sharia.May all of us be similarly inspired

#7 antish on 05.12.08 at 9:46 am

“.It is heartening that there are individuals who seek to make money in compliance with the Sharia.”

More to do with identifying a market niche, I would imagine. If it’s successful no doubt Hilton et al will have them too.

#8 Shadower on 05.12.08 at 12:17 pm

It is also a market niche that tends to be untapped, Australia is finally getting in on the halal meat industry in a big way, on a local level the City of Hume started up an abattoir with Brunei to sell halal meat internationally. Also there is the Islamic Finance sector, once that picked up you know have British Banks that offer it and I heard rumors that some banks in Australia are looking at providing them.

So I would not be surprised to see well known hotel chains starting up halal hotel subsidiaries down the track if this takes off.

#9 antish on 05.12.08 at 1:21 pm

Yep. I live in a town that makes a lot of money from so-called pink tourism (and I’m glad I do – it’s very much more civilised than yer average Oz country town). Most of the people running gay-friendly accommodation etc aren’t gay. The same will apply with Halal tourism.

Actually, I don’t know why a lot of Muslims don’t get together and charter a cruise ship or book out an entire resort or whatever.

#10 maruf on 07.04.09 at 4:50 pm

Alhamdulillah. I hope so that A halal hotel will be very very good idea if it would follow the islamic rules accurately. Shukran Lakum.

Leave a Comment